Alrighty. Here is Tulip Time, with pictures just slapped up here. Usually I'm somewhat discontented with the order in which they post, but not sssssso discontented that I'm willing to change the order. Today, however, I'm pleased that these first two pictures are, in fact, the first two pictures I took of the day! So, how 'bout that!
We arrived just in time for an AFTERNOON PARADE we didn't expect to see. Hm! We aren't big fans of parades, and almost never attend them ... which makes it a little more interesting when we *do* get to see one! And, this one is a big, big deal -- and very unique because Pella is a Dutch town, so Tulip Time is their festival to celebrate all things Dutch! Only this one picture, of the parade pictures I took, did I deem worth keeping:
"Tulip Tea Room and Gifts", the sign reads.

Getting ready for the "Tractor Rodeo"

One contestant in the Tractor Rodeo. (Goal is for the driver to carefully get his tractor driven up onto the platform (three planks), and get the tractor to balance perfectly, with the platform tipping neither back nor forward. Requires mmmuch skill & patience!

Another event in the tractor Rodeo: Barrel Rolling

One tractor driver trying to get his tractor to balance on the platform, seeing if shifting his body weight back will be enough to get the machine to balance.


The Tractor Rodeo was held on the west side of the city square. This area has its own announcer booth. See the guy inside, wearing a cap? The loudspeaker you can see here as well, in front of the USA flag....

This was a sight!! A female tractor driver, in a large purple dress, driving a purple tractor!

Here is the tractor tour of the town. We talked about going on that ride, maybe next time we go to Tulip Time!? :)

On the way out of town I was determined to take as many out-the-window pictures as I could, since I didn't take any on our way into town. Along the main drag, for probably 12 or 15 blocks, every house has a swath of tulips planted between the sidewalk and the road. So, with no time to even aim, or see what I was getting, these are the shots I was able to get (note all the meticulously manicured lawns):




This is the back of a shop that's part of the town center.

Home of Pella Windows & Doors.

Pella, like Bozeman, gets a special, fancy Wal-Mart. Jeremy laughed so hard at me when, after taking pictures of all the old, quaint, and beautiful, I then shot the Wal-Mart, last thing on the way out of town, hahaha!

A park on the edge of town.

Part of the town square.

Natasha chose to have her picture taken with these.


FAIL! `sigh` In my imagination I had a picture of my two preshies with the black fountain behind them, and the blazing red tulips behind the fountain. They were less than cooperative, and it wasn't the right time for me to fuss about the set-up, so ... this is what we got, haha!

Pella's Library. See the bright pink tulips behind the people? How pretty is that??!!?!

A yard we walked past on the way to our car.

One corner of the city square was set up to do crafts & activities with children in the afternoons of the festival.

Ooooh, we liked this store!

Inside Ulrich Meat Market


Justus had asked if we would see orange tulips. Orange is his favorite color. This picture is cropped from the one below, so you can see his happy expression.


Part of the city center has a very, very BLUUUUE water way through it. Vendors under white tents were selling all manner of crafts, treats, and services.... Justus's arm was in his shirt at this point because it was sprinkling and he was keeping his cast dry.

HUMONGOUS orange tulips


My sweet family walking in the springtime beauty.

Dutch licorice.... ??! *blink*

Dutch Letters -- uber-famous and popular. Flaky pastry on the outside, almond paste on the inside. Name of the baker: Vander Ploeg. I asked the kind lady how it's pronounced. "VAN-der PLOOG," she replied. Wow, do I have a lot to learn about the Dutch language....

Dutch dress -- see how this family (mom, daughter, and son walking away from me) was dressed? Probably 50% of attendees were dressed in traditional dutch dress. The background is part of the mill complex....

Father & son in Dutch dress - you can really only see their hats.

This picture was taken here in Des Moines; I wanted at least a drive-by shot of the tulips at this Iowa State Fairgrounds sign.

Back in Pella, haha. This picture was taken because it looks so DIFFERENT from all the other yards!!

More of the city center. Brick walks, tulips, unique, beautiful architecture, Justus eating his Dutch Letter.


Ulrich Meat Market has an entire row of cheese curds!!!!! Yyyeah, we went home with some, YUM.

The HUMONGOUS orange tulips

My favorite section of Pella's city square buildings.
3 comments:
What a great town and what a fun day!
Since I already saw most (if not all) of those pictures on Facebook, I sort of went fast. It looks like such a great day you had with your family. Good job on getting that done! I hope you can go again next year.
I LOVE this pics!! ;) The one of you and Jeremy is quite dashing! :-) And I'm telling you the one of Justus and his orange tulips...I had to laugh at the "perspective" of the cropping!
And I must say I'm a *tad* jealous at how your family all seem to enjoy walking around a town and looking at TULIPS. Mine just doesn't seem to enjoy those simple trips...
Post a Comment