Monday, January 10, 2011

Tragedy hits close to home.

We knew two of the people who were injured in the shooting in Tucson Saturday. Dorwan and Mavy Stoddard attended Congresswoman Giffords's event. Dorwan passed away at the scene, having received a bullet to the head. Mavy survived - because Dorwan protected her.

These folks were/are member/s of Mountain Avenue Church of Christ in Tucson. The congregation meets on the far side of Tucson from Mission Valley, yet Dorwan and Mavy came out in dependable support for any area-wide event Mission Valley hosted. Due to the unique climate of the congregations in the city, the Stoddards' commitment to building strong connections with other Christians in the area was a brightly-shining beacon. I remember Mavy mostly from the Ladies' Day events; she attended every one, and was always smiling and introducing people. :) She helped in the kitchen at youth rallies. She and Dorwan were/are on the board for the camp Jeremy counseled at those three years.

Dorwan and Mavy impacted my life most significantly in a way they can't know, however. I had the privilege of hearing details about their self-sacrificial behavior when helping a former-'wayward' young church lady to get her feet under her as she was getting clean off drugs and straightening out her life. Dorwan and Mavy, with great care and diligence, allowed this young lady (I knew her extended family very well.) to live.in.their.home for a number of weeks. ~~Over and Above~~ ~~WHAT FAITH!~~ ~~WHAT LOVE!!~~

If you wish, please enjoy reading about these precious people by following the two links below. I learned that, though they knew each other from childhood, they were both married previously to spouses who passed away, and had been married to each other only about 15 years. Somehow that makes their impact for Christ even more significant to me: they did all that in only the 15 years they were married. Wonderful, wonderful people.

Needless to ask, I request your prayers for their family and the entire situation.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-arizona-shooting-victims-20110110,0,1429157.story

http://www.christianchronicle.org/blog/2011/01/breaking-news-church-member-killed-wife-wounded-in-arizona-shooting-rampage/


post signature

5 comments:

Nicoll said...

--Praying for the Spirit's comfort. They sound like a wonderful couple. Dorwan went to his new Home in a very heroic way; a tragic, but fitting end to a shining earth life. Thanks for sharing, and I am sorry for the pain. May God bless Mavy as she awaits to be reunited with him.

Summer said...

I read their profiles. Very sad. What great people. I'll be praying for Mavy and family.

Sydni said...

The second link didn't work for me (I tried twice...). Thank you for posting this. We will be praying.

Anonymous said...

The C of C family here area wide is shocked by the events that happened Sat. So many hero's that day. We are more than ever anxious to move to IA next summer, and are longing for that small town Mayberry atmosphere. You guys are doing a terrific job in DM. We continue to pray for Elaine's medical situation.
Connie Riecke

eliz said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Mavy and Dorwin, our brothers and sisters in Christ.Thank You for sharing this.(((HUG))) Maybe you should post this at COChomeschoolers?

The shootings were just inconceivable. Just unimaginable. Our hearts break just hearing about it.