Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Prayers, please...

It's a trying time. Some of our good friends, Jared & Stacy V., have a 2 1/2 yos, Enoch, and baby twin boys born at 35 weeks, Chase & Easton. Easton has a bad valve in his heart, and although the twins are 14 weeks old now, the doctors couldn't wait any longer to get in there and try to fix it, his condition was deteriorating so much. They kept him in the hospital over the weekend for observation, and then his surgery was today. The family had great support, with many showing up to sit with them in the hospital, and bring meals, and provide child care, etc.

But. Easton's surgery wasn't nearly as successful as everyone had hoped it would be. :( The tissue of his little heart was too soft and just didn't hold the repair like they'd hoped. Shockingly, they are leaving him heavily sedated in the operating room 'til tomorrow (Tue.) or maybe Wednesday, to see if his heart can do what it needs to do to keep him alive for the coming year ... when the repair would most likely be successful. If it doesn't, they'll have to put in an artificial valve. Trick is, they don't make artificial valves as small as they would need ... so the question is this: would whatever valve they *find* to use function any better than the ineffective repair? Will you please pray, with us, for this family?

I spent yesterday afternoon with them at the hospital. It was a most-lovely time together; usually when we're together there are a slew of other people, distracting children, and/or a tight time schedule. Not so yesterday, so we had a really nice visit. Jeremy was with them all day today, along with many others; it was very emotional for Jeremy ... bringing back to the surface many feelings and memories. (sigh) There are tough times in life.

Enoch and Chase are with Tammy tonight, and we'll keep them tomorrow afternoon and evening. I'm looking forward to it >> a major change of pace!!!!!!!!!! :) And, Lord willing, good help for them right now....

I'm sssso excited about something!!!! For a long, long, long time now I've been wanting an elliptical (exercise equipment). I have major exercise excuses. And I think all of them are valid. (Is there a difference between a valid excuse and an invalid excuse? Food for thought....) So anyway, in all my stewing about this I have figured out that an elliptical will be part of a solution to get lots more exercising going on in our house. :) HOWEVER, can you say "OUT OF THE BUDGET"???!!! Eesh. So in passing conversation at the hospital yesterday, Stacy ended up giving me her elliptical on a 'permanent-loan'-type deal! :) Woah!! She said she's had it for a long time and simply does not use it, nor does she expect to any time soon, so *someone/s* should be using it! :) She said she wants me to have it. Then, if maybe she decides she wants it back, she can simply have it back! :) Whoo-hoooooo!!!!! I'm very happy about this.

Another excitement is that I saw daffodils yesterday. Flowers!!!!! I like flowers. I'm also excited because I bought a book called (Brace yourself for a GREAT BOOK NAME) "Crops in Pots". I'm planning to start some container vegetable gardening. Wish me luck! :)

From Freecycle we received for Natasha a study pillow. I had to mend it, which was a big challenge for this unpracticed 'seamstress', but I am proud of the job I did!! And, not surprisingly, she likes it!!

What is your favorite thing to do with fresh strawberries??










post signature

2 comments:

Sydni said...

We are praying for Easton and his family. Please let us know how things go with his condition.

The eliptical machine is fabulous. I hope you enjoy it!

I don't do anything with fresh strawberries.... back to my absence of kitchen ideas/work/interest.

Amanda said...

Wow..that poor baby and his family! Praying for sure...

Elipticals are AWESOME! That has been the majority of my workouts these past 12 weeks...and let me tell you, they can give you a WORKOUT! :-) Enjoy it as much as you can while it kills you! LOL

Let's see...fresh strawberries. I LOVE to just eat them with whipped cream! YUM. A very nice and light dessert! We also like to just slice them and put them over pound cake or angel food cake and top with whipped cream. Very easy shortcake! Another good thing would be to run them through the food processer till chunky and put over vanilla yogurt...top with some granola and you have an instant breakfast. :) (Incidentally, the boys and I do this with frozen mixed berries and it is a delicious breakfast!)

Enjoy!