Thursday, October 9, 2008

Living History Farms, Part 3

N dictates: "After the 1900 farm we went into a hill building, a building under a hill where they had different exhibits about farming. My favorite part was the true or false exhibit. I also liked comparing an old-fashioned kitchen to a kitchen today. They have a small theater where they showed a movie.





We rode on the tractor back to the Visitor’s Center. I was glad to rest my legs on that tractor ride. [On the way to the farms J and I rode on the very back bench of the second trailer; on the way back to the Visitor's Center we rode on the front bench of the first trailer!]





[At one point on the tractor ride, the road passes under the Interstate!]



[I was asked who this man is! It is Gary, Elaine's friend from Louisiana; all of his family lives close by him so when he has a vacation he visits Elaine!]



Then we ate lunch at the Machine Shed and drank out of Mason Jars.









Then we visited the town. In the first house, my favorite things were old-fashioned toys, like the spin-top.



I also liked the laundry room, which had a board for washing with. The pantry had a lot of the same things that are in our pantry, but in different style. I liked the feather bed that was very soft and comfy, and there was a cute little cradle. In that room was a wash bin where people would ‘do their toilet’ in the morning. The stove in the kitchen had a lot of doors. The burners can be lifted up. I got to lift one and it felt heavy.



At the Millinery there were so many pretty hats I can’t tell you which one was my favorite. Some were black and some were white. A lot of them had flowers, but some had jewels and feathers. One of my favorites was a black one with flowers on it and it had a veil in the back. We got to go in the back where the millinery made the hats. We weren’t allowed to touch anything, but it was interesting. She had a very pretty dress back there.

At the Drug Store we looked at different kinds of tooth powder. My favorite one had cinnamon in it. There was some make-up there. Some make-up made ladies look pale. We didn’t look at all the men’s stuff.

At the General Wares store there was a coffee grinder and a scale. You would put one part of the scale on the number on the ruler part of how many pounds you wanted, and then you would put the things you wanted in the bucket of the scale, and if you could lift up the ruler you had as much as you wanted. They had Rock Candy on a stick, and other candy too.



There was also a tall, white church building at the very end of the town. When we went inside it there was a pump organ and a piano. Mom and I played one of the songs from the book we’re practicing from at home. I liked the big, pretty window at the front. I liked the way it was stained. It looked like a four-leaf clover, with rainbow colors. There was a sign hanging on a rope that said, “Don’t pull,” probably because that rope was attached to the bell and the rope would ring it.



At the printer's place I got to see big pieces of paper that had been printed on with a very large ink pad. There was also a smaller ink pad which I got to print on! And I got to take the paper home. It says “Living History Farms, September 17, 2008”. It also has a picture of pigs. Justus almost got his fingers crushed when we were rolling the big, heavy roller over the paper.





On our way out, we passed some trash cans with a whole lot of admission stickers on them, and I put mine on one that did not have any. The End.



post signature

4 comments:

Summer said...

That place sounds like so much fun! Were you there all day? There was so much to see! And, Sunny, is your hair reddish or is it just the shade/lighting?

Sydni said...

Greeeeat! Everyone should take the opportunity to go there if given the chance. Thanks for sharing.

Loree said...

What a great experience! I enjoyed reading about the different "stores" in the town.

Laurel said...

OK, Sunny, If we ever get to come and visit, we have to go there. You should do their advertising. I don't know what mom wouldn't want their kid to learn history this way. I love that it was so Non-museum and you could touch things and talk to the people who are obviously educated about the time period. So Great! (Thanks for sharing Natasha)