(me typing, N dictating) "In August I went to Iowa State University's Insect Zoo to see cool bugs. Most of them were insects, but some of them were not. The Pleasant Hill library sent us on a field trip to see interesting bugs because that was the theme of the Summer Reading Program. I can't remember all the names of the bugs. Riding the bus there, I wanted to sit by my new friend, Sidney, but the seat next to me had a broken seat belt, so I sat across from her.
When we were going in I took a picture of the very tall building we were going into.
There were a whole lot of windows.
Chris was our 'tour guide'. He was a good one.
There was a full-grown Asian Millipede. It was smooth, with bumps, as you'll see in the picture. We got to play with her babies. They weren't as big as she was.
In the hall, there were lots of beetles on display. My favorite is the one in the middle.
Sidney had a big, black beetle on her thumb, and I can't remember its name. When it was my turn to hold the beetle, I dropped it in my lap! Sidney helped me get it back on the table.
The cockroach was pretty gross. But Chris said if we each held it or touched it, he would kiss it. I asked him to kiss the biggest one, and he did!
There were butterflies and a walking stick, and lots of moths on display. I like the butterflies.
The Giant Greenland Walking Stick was fat for a walking stick! It was actually kind-of cool because of the spikes along its sides. For defense it lifts up its hind leg and it drops it down like a pinch.
Chris didn't hold the scorpion, the older, girl tourist [LOL!! She means 'tour guide'.] held it. The girl didn't think it would be right for Chris to hold the scorpion because he was new, and young, and hadn't ever handled it yet. On this scorpion, the bug people somehow taped shut the 'poison dispenser' - that's the tail.
This picture is a picture of a tomato worm's life cycle. It starts out as an egg. It hatches and eats all the tomato plant leaves it can. Then it gets in its pupa, and it starts transforming into a hummingbird moth!
On the ride home they gave us water (which I was thankful for) and they gave us a choice of chips. I got Cheetos. Sidney is the new friend I made that I was talking about. I took this picture on the bus on our way back home. Three weeks later we saw her again at the library crafting time! The End."
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
N's Bug Field Trip
Posted by
JeremyNSunny
at
11:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Wow! What a fun and educational experience. We had a similar experience only with tons more people and less indidvidual attention and 0 photos at the national gallery when we were in D.C. two years ago (almost 3 now). I am impressed with how well she was able to describe her experience and I am glad she made a freind on the way. What fun. Laurel
Wow, that sounds fun, Natasha! You are much braver than I am - those bugs freak me out!
Wow! I'm very impressed with the field trip. It sounds interesting and exciting. You took such great pictures. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with us.
Ok....that was pretty much the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. LOL But, GREAT JOB Natasha! :) I have a major stomach issue with large FAT bugs....sorry. :) I'm glad she had a good time, though and has a new friend.
Okay, MAJOR "Ewwwwwww" going on here in this desk-chair! I DO NOT like bugs or crawly critters, AT ALL. Give me a snake and I'm happy....get me anywhere near a critter that crawls and I'm outta here!
Glad you could do it....SOMEONE's gotta love those creatures that God made! LOL
:)
Post a Comment