Saturday, September 20, 2008

In the Q/A section of our town's monthly magazine I found the following "Answer" to the question: "Are some soaps and skincare products actually doing me harm?" True, the information isn't necessarily *new*, but I thought the answer particularly pleasing, informative, clear, and comforting; it was provided by a chiropractic office which credited the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association.


"Everywhere we turn we are bombarded with advertisements and warnings about health harming bacteria. We are made to believe that germs are out to get us. Many soaps, cleaning, and skincare products are now containing antibacterial ingredients to keep illness causing bacteria from entering the body. These products may actually be doing more harm than good by contributing to bacterial resistance.
Bacterial resistance, formerly linked to the overuse of antibiotics, is now also being linked to the overuse of one category of these antimicrobial products. This category, referred to as residue producing agents include chemicals that linger on surfaces or products with antimicrobials made inside them. Constant use tends to disrupt the normal bacteria that act as a barrier against invading pathogens. A house that is kept extremely clean does not allow contact with the good bacteria needed in order for the immune system to mature correctly. This is especially important in households with infants and young children. According to research, allergies, asthma, and eczema are more common among kids who have grown up in extreme sanitary conditions.
Residue-producing products pose harm for us as they have been found in our water and even in breastmilk. It is important to avoid all residue-producing antibacterial products. Regular soap, water, and a little good scrubbing results in the removal of nearly all bacteria."



post signature

2 comments:

Summer said...

Thanks for spreading the word about that. I never buy anti-bacterial stuff and the more people that stop using it, the better! And, sometimes when I'm disheartened by a house that I think is too dirty, I just tell myself that it's good for our immune systems!

Sydni said...

How nice to know a dirty house is a good thing. :)