Today I feel like I am holding onto my sanity by only a thread. We have had two more excessively busy days of running errands. GIVE A GIRL A BREAK!
First, the one thing on my Blog Tag list that you didn't already know, Chic...?? The hair twirling. Am I right?
Yesterday started out normally, with some tentative plans to accomplish some tasks in town. Then I received a letter that said our request to see if we qualify for Arizona's "Medicaid" for health insurance has already been declined because of "failure to provide proof of income." Well, yeah, failure to provide ALL of the information required (a long list!) because I was under the impression I had until Jan. 21 to get it to them!! I looked back to find the letter that had said that, and although it didn't say exactly that, the way it was written certainly gives that impression. So I was on the phone for an hour yesterday morning trying to convince them to re-open our case so we can at least see if we qualify, and get some help paying these bills from the Seizure Night. uggh. So, that required me to completely change my day's schedule. (eye roll) Elaine was through running for the day, and was willing to be the adult in charge while I did my running. I ended up making EIGHT stops between 4:30 and 7:30 p.m.; thankfully seven of them were short! It was dark and raining by the time I was on the way home -- with BARELY enough time to build our supper of chicken nachos to eat in front of the TV while we watched the end of the National Championship game in which LSU beat Ohio State. Oh, man, was Jeremy feeling happy about that!! :) While trying to cook supper, put away Grocery Game groceries, and 'endure' the children's crazy excitement/story-telling about the previous three hours, I also had to return two phone calls, working to iron out Tuesday's PODA. (Parade of the Day's Activities, a Flylady-ism.)
Yesterday Jeremy had a major test of loyalty. Last month the church leadership scheduled a series of Bible studies to see what scripture says about some differences of opinion that are causing some emotional turmoil at the present time. Welllllll, the first Bible study was scheduled to start an hour AFTER the National Championship game was to start. Poor Jeremy! lol He got to see only about the last quarter of the game. Still, it was at least an enjoyable evening, short as it was.
Yesterday I gave Natasha two assignments to complete while I was gone. Finish cleaning up lunch, and color her first Color Wheel. She did both jobs beautifully. Later in the evening Justus was absolutely BEGGING to make a Color Wheel for himself as well, so we let him do that too. :) He was FAR more interested in the Color Wheel than the game, but (shh!) don't tell Jeremy. ;) [ha ha -- He was sitting right there. lol ]
Jeremy worked the morning today and returned home in time to stay here with the children while I drove to Green Valley for an appointment at 1:00 with Leota's friend Monica, aka "The Bra Lady". Her business is called Undertones; how creative is that?? I REALLY like creative business names. Leota bought me a new bra today!!!!! Wow, what a wonderful, unique blessing! [Bras for me are EXPENSIVE!!!] (A few weeks ago I had shared with Leota a bit about my recent bra frustrations.) Before I came home I did the Wal-Mart grocery shopping, and (joy of joys!) went to the chiropractor. He laughed hard when I told him the story of me saying to Jeremy, "My back is out again, and I don't know for sure why; I think it might be because I carried the Christmas tree box downstairs." Then one day he read in my blog about the night I locked the keys in the Rodeo, and ended up climbing through the (un-locked) back to stretch and reach my purse, which had the keys in it. So that night Jeremy said to me, in a sing-song teasing, mimicking voice, "I'm not sure what it was that threw my back out."
I learned that my mid-spinal issues (They started during the move to this house; evidently I was lifting boxes that were too heavy...!) are causing pinching of some/a nerve/s attached to the brachioplexus (ooh-ooh, something new to research and be hypochondria-tic (?!) about!). This is causing the pain, stiffness, and nerve 'zings' from my back through my shoulder and all the way down my right arm, especially when it is pushed above my head or I have to use it to push anything to the left. (Dealing with my hair, working in the kitchen, and driving ... those are the moments I'm most-frustrated with it.) I asked, "Are there some kind of exercises I could be doing to strengthen my back so maybe I won't keep having this problem?" He said, "Yes; on your way out get one of my exercise sheets and an exercise ball. Or drive across the street where Big 5 has them on sale for $15." (!!! They're normally $30!)
It took Justus and me 15 minutes this afternoon to get that ball blown up to the exact right size!! lol Boy, it's fun; and challenging! And destructive! We had to make some children's rules about its use! eek!
I sat on the ball here at the computer for 30 minutes before I started cooking supper; that was my only 'rest' today (and NOT very restful, interestinly-enough). Then, shortly before I started cooking Jeremy got a concerning phone call from Tommy & Shavon's house. It was Chris (16yob, Shavon's brother who is living with them) confessing to Jeremy that he's messed up again and he's afraid Tommy & Shavon were going to kick him out. It's a bunch of family drama, in which we are slightly involved, but because Chris gave such a dire version of the situation and neither Tommy nor Shavon were at home at the moment, Jeremy ended up driving across town to speak first with Shavon (She was at work, around the corner from where they live.) and then with Chris & Tommy (who had gotten home by then). I'm ssssssssssso thankful Jeremy was able to be there for them tonight. I think it was a stabilizing and healthy level of support for the NOT GOOD situation. Because of the specifics of Chris's 'mess-up', I really felt I needed to pick the brains of my beloved friends, Todd & Stephanie, for advice; we had good conversations and I received good suggestions, for which I am so thankful. Justus showered. When Jeremy got home, the rest of us watched him eat while he told us what happened. We cleaned up supper, and it's official: I am wiped out!!! AGAIN!!! Going to the chiropractor always leaves me sore the rest of the day (and, of course I've always been sore leading up the chiropractic visit...), so I am ready to take it easy the next few days!!! I won't know what to do with myself. HA. as if
An update on Ashley is some of the best news we have heard from her in a long time. As of this week, she is living with her cousin's family in WA. Her cousin is a bit older than Jeremy and me, but the way Ashley describes their family we are super-similar. Non-denominational church members, children the same ages (except they have two that are older as well), homeschoolers, into natural health/healing, big on preparing home-cooked meals, and the list of similarities goes on, ending with, most recently, that both Ashley's cousin and I use an exercise ball for our computer chair. lol Ashley has been to two church meetings and an in-home Bible study so far this week (YAY.), and has already met some wholesome young Christians to hang out with. In addition, it sounds today like she has gainful employment lined up as well!!!!!!!!!!!! I am breathing easier already. Part of Ashley's responsibility in their house right now is to prepare supper. Sssssssso, since she is into cooking (has attended chef's courses, etc.), and over the years has really learned to like a BUNCH of the recipes I make regularly, she called requesting recipes! This is the one I sent her tonight, so I thought since I was working with the recipe, and we're deep into "Soup Season", I'd copy the recipe here! :) Maybe someone will want to try it; it'll be worth it, for sure ... if you like Potato Soup. Those who are dieting will want to adjust the recipe to cut some of the fat from it, of course.
Potato Cheese Soup
Serves 10-12
6 potatoes
1 c. onion, chopped
2 1/2 c. water (or a bit more)
2 1/2 t. salt
Place the above ingredients in a large ("Dutch oven") soup pot. Boil; reduce heat; simmer 25-30 min. DO NOT DRAIN.
Thickening Mixture:
4 T. butter, melted
4 T. flour
2 T. parsley
1/2 t. pepper
Mix in a small bowl; set aside.
6 oz. cheese (cheddar, Swiss, or other cheese of your choice), opt.
Shred cheese and set aside.
2 c. milk (or a bit more)
1 c. sour cream (opt.) (If not using sour cream, increase milk measurement to 2 1/2 c.)
Whisk milk and sour cream together in large measuring cup or med. size bowl.
When potatoes are through simmering, add the milk mixture and the Thickening Mixture.
Cook & stir constantly over medium heat 'till thick and bubbly; remove from heat.
Add cheese into soup and stir just to melt, OR (to avoid the cheese clumping) offer the cheese as a garnish.
Opt: Ham Potato Soup
Let a ham bone+attached meat simmer in half a soup pot of water for about 2 hours; remove the ham bone from the pot and let it cool. Use 3 c. of the 'ham broth' in place of the "2 1/2 c. water" the recipe calls for. When the ham bone is cool, tear the ham bites off the bone and stir them into the soup when you add the milk and the Thickening Mixture; discard the ham bone.
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Mon. & Tue., Jan. 7 & 8
Posted by
JeremyNSunny
at
1:21 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Number 4 was the only one I did not know about I guess... but maybe I knew that one too in the dark, recesses of my brain.
Once again after reading your post I feel drained - and it's only 7:27 a.m.!
Isn't life fun sometimes??? You never know what curveballs you'll receive. God knows how to test us!
LOL Sydni....I always feel tired after reading Sunny's blog too!! hehe :) Sorry, Sunny, but your life is tiring and stressful for us!
Post a Comment