Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Sun. & Mon., Dec. 9 & 10

The big excitement from Sunday is that we had company for lunch ... something we don't do often because Sundays are sssssso hard for me, ALWAYS, no matter what. However, we had been attempting for about three months to set a date for some new friends, Daniel and Mary Frances, from a congregation across town, to share a meal with us so our girls could get together and play. Quinnesha is just a few months younger than N; they/we met at Ladies' Day last April, and the girls got to spend a little time together at Southside's seminar in September. Q is being raised by her grandparents, whose thinking is so much like ours that it feels nicely comfortable for our girls to spend time together. It's also fun because there are common CA connections between us; they know Melvin and Cathy well! Anyway, we had a crock pot meal and they got to stay all afternoon and then attend our evening service as well. >>

Which, as some of you know, was a memorial service for Bob and Leota's daughter who died of MS a couple weeks ago at the age of 38. Ssssssso sad. Since I have been asked about it, I will detail the service a bit. Jeremy did an amazing service, however. Many compliments were received, and although it was a sad hour, it was also a joyful hour because Donelle was a faithful Christian her whole life, even through lots of 'yuck-stuff' ... as is in all of our lives.... On the phone today Leota said, "I don't think it's just because Donelle was our daughter that I thought that was such an amazing memorial service. I have never been to a service like that before, ever!" It was extremely spiritually-focused, and rather sermon-like, but with snippets of her eulogy and then congregational singing intermixed throughout, with everything chosen carefully to coordinate and keep the thought process together. Then the floor was opened for those who wanted to make a statement. Three did, and that was lovely. Next was a slideshow of pictures Jeremy had scanned from Bob and Leota's picture albums. Leota held the microphone and was able to do any necessary explaining as the pictures went by. They had invited a family friend from Billings, who is snowbirding in Yuma, to lead the singing (He also led the singing for our morning service.); another old MT family friend who now lives in Phoenix said the closing prayer, half-sobbing. It was emotional but beautiful, you know...? Sadly, so many of the congregation's # are either sick or traveling, that there were more of Bob and Leota's friends there than church members. No matter, it was a blessed time.

Today was Monday. In many ways it felt like our first day to really recover from the events of last week. We took it e-a-s-y. I did grocery shopping in the evening. Locked the keys in the car, but thankfully the back was still open, so I had to crawl through the back. Thankfully I was alone and it was dark; maybe nobody had to know at all if I hadn't posted it here online! heehee Natasha was mellow again today; her headache seems maybe 85% gone. She is still having to spend much time lying down, but manages to make it work between ups and downs throughout the day. Jeremy and Jusuts have started a new Lego project. ... which reminds me, I still have pictures to post of their last project! Maybe tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sydni said...

Donelle's service sounds great! Thanks for the details about it.

I am also glad to hear that Natasha continues to do better, little by little and that you had one relaxing day.