We weeded in the front today. I took an hour in the afternoon and read my book that I'd gotten super-absorbed in. ["Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" (Thanks, Chic!) -- WHAT an education!] Those are the only two things about today that were any out-of-the-ordinary.
Here are the remaining pictures from the weekend.
The following two pictures were taken at the edge of the stream bed. It looks like this is a raging 'river' during monsoon season, and actually in order to get to the camp, one has to drive across the stream bed!! How strange is THAT?? This first picture was facing east. The second picture faces north.
We took a couple of fun pictures together!
Here's fake-smiling Natasha. I took a cute picture of Justus by this fence post too, but accidentally DELETED IT! ARGH!!!
On the way back to the camp we heard a unique, firm 'tap-tap-tap' a few times. It took me a few moments to register that it was a woodpecker - and close! It took me a few more moments to find it in the trees. It had a bright red head, but was too high up for me to tell what kind it was. As I was trying to get closer for a better picture it went even higher up in the tree, and on the top of a branch way above us. GR! I went ahead and shot the picture because in real life I could still see a smidge of red; I wanted to see what would show up in the picture. Sure enough: nothing. So why did I save the picture? I think that's the first time I have seen a woodpecker in the wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This picture is to remind me of the moment.... :*(
This is nothing but a thistle. Key: it is NOT a cactus. I think there are ZERO cactuses that grow in the climate where the camp is. (That's one of its most attractive features for us Tucsonians to whom cactus is a part of everyday life!) I was just struck by the size (12" diameter!) and perfect balance of this thistle. I mean, really, it looks like artwork. But then, it IS artwork, created by the Master Artist, right? What does He see in THISTLES?? lol Obviously they serve some purpose...! ??




2 comments:
Ok. I just had to laugh at this post. Here is a picture of N fake smiling and then I deleted the one of Justus. Here is a picture of where a woodpecker used to be, oh, and here is a picture of a thistle... Hahahahah. Just laughing.
Nice job with the weeding. You inspire me. Yesterday I weeded a little bit in the back yard. It's our own little piece of wilderness back there! Great pictures, too. I couldn't see the woodpecker anywhere, though. . .
SD
Post a Comment