Thursday, September 22, 2011

Summer knitting projects

This summer I finished two significant projects, both baby gifts. First a stuffed rabbit, which I did with a LLLLOT of help from my wonderful sis. (Date on the rabbit pics is wrong, if you care.)

I didn't figure out until I was stuffing it how POOR my effort was at sewing the edges together; I thought it would be like "sewing". NOPE, there's an entirely separate ... "genre" of knitting skill called "finishing". Needless to say, after my sorrowful experience on the rabbit's seams, I learned how to 'finish'.

He is OH-SO-VERY homemade; I had to hold him/arrange him at just the perfect angles for his photo session, so he wouldn't look completely misshapen. :\ Hey, it was my first one!



Another close-up of the bad seaming job:
The second baby gift is for a boy who has two big sisters; I figured his home is already quite blessed with mmmany girl toys, so I wanted his stuffed animal to be particularly masculine, so I chose the boy doll. HILARIOUSLY, his 2yo sister, Cora, has absolutely adopted this dude as her own. lol --figures. lol She's sssssso stinking preciously adorable and actually possessive with him, hahaha!! Poor Clay.... HOPEFULLY I crafted him sturdily enough that there'll be something left of the doll by the time Clay is old enough to play with him, haha! [His mom has already said she'll pay for a duplicate; I have NOT committed to that yet.]
So, here is a picture of my first actual 'finishing' job. This is the back of the hat, with the seam up the middle; the front of the hat is in the picture below.

Here are more finished seams I was very proud of, on the pants.

Embarrassingly, I forgot how to 'finish' between when I did the hat-and-pants, and when I finished the legs ... but I *thought* I remembered how, and -- like with the rabbit -- didn't figure out that I'd done it wrong until I got them stuffed, rrrgh. It's possible, with a llllot of extra work and headache, that I could have un-done those seams, but, you know what? He's got pants. So I left them.
:\ Also, an experienced 'finisher' would have gotten the stripes to align perfectly down his back. We are our own greatest critic!!The pattern for this doll was dumb in one way. The 'shirt' only covered the top half of his torso, and even though the pants come off, there was no pattern for the rest of his torso and the tops of his legs! :\ That threw me for a loop, so I did a bunch of brain-bending math (ha) to figure out how to continue the stripes down a ways, thankyouverymuch!
The hair? One word: Uggh. On that topic, my greatest interest is to see how long it lasts. Cassie (Mom) assures me that Cora (2yo sis) is a capable tester. ;)

The doll has THUMBS!! Ohhhh, my applause goes to whoever it is who writes knitting patterns; those folks are GOOOOOD! *blink*


post signature

1 comment:

Sydni said...

So cute. I am looking forward to seeing your next baby project/gift! I've been making "reading mitts"... completely impractical, but I like them a lot.