Monday, December 20, 2010

Tree & Camp Book

I forgot to post a picture of Natasha's birthday cards. :) Each one meant a great deal to her, yay!






Natasha 'gave up' her camp notebook and journal from Bible camp this year. She has enjoyed them occasionally through the past six months, and is now through with them. I'm taking pictures to record and share some of the pages that interested me most.

See if you can guess what it is about the following picture that cracks.me.up.


Wow. God giving a "thumbs up". Okaaay!


Each page in the notebook was blank on the back. Needless to say, by the end of her week at camp, every blank page was covered in art. Here are some examples.





(We were in the throes of reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, so discovering this picture of a centaur in her Bible study notebook is not at all a surprise to me. Just the girl's imagination at work....)


After a, maybe six month(?) hiatus from Legos, for the past few days N & J have been designing dudes. Each kid's guys make up his/her army, and they have agreed (shocking) upon an amount of power for each guy, as well as which kind of attack he does that costs his opponent how much in 'health', like a video game, except with manipulatives (Seems so backwards to me, ha!!). See how each kid has a paper? That is where the record is kept (a chart) of each attack, so they can do the math(!!) to figure out which guy is going to win the battle.... [Are these children related to me?? 'Cause ... I would NEVER a.) think to do this, or b.) want to! lol]

Look, that spot of clear desk there...? I haven't seen it since the fire. It is rrrreally good to see it again. True, there's still a 1/4" stack to deal with, below my Bible. I'm getting to it. :) Also note my nice, quilted coaster, made by my mom. :) I use its blue twin on my nightstand. Also *huuuuge sigh* note the black notebook standing on the right. That is the story recipe book Natasha wrote and illustrated for the Free boys this time LAST YEAR, that I have yet to copy and ship to the four locations in mind.... *sigh* It sits in a place of priority, but gets postponed and postponed.... -argh
Here is our tree. Our same old trusty fake tree that we like so much; we think this is its sixth year in service to us, ha. Instead of trying to cram onto it every last one of the ridiculous number of Christmas ornaments we have (most came from our families of origin the Christmas before we got married), this year we agreed to use the white lights [There are three color wheels that allow us to choose each year what color lights to enjoy.], and only the ornaments that are significantly white, off-white, gold, silver, and clear. It is a nice change.



Shamelessly copying my sister's adorable blog idea, here are close-ups of some of my favorite ornaments hanging this year. This one was made by my aunt Patty years ago. A hazelnut!!



No idea where this one came from, but I like its daintiness, and the idea of combining Christmas ornaments with a seashell. :)



Aww, from Natasha's first Christmas when she was 9 days old!
These guys are really difficult to see; they are cuter when NOT hanging on the tree, actually.... They are penguin snowman musicians (saxophone, violin). The base white ball is attached loosely through the middle of the torso, so they 'dance'. Where they came from I know.not. :(
That is Jeremy when he was maybe 6. Awwwwwwwww!
Made by my mom.
Made by my mom.
Sorry for the bad picture here, but this is a huge, fabulous Father Christmas with fruit and a little snowman in his hat.
This is from Jeremy's childhood. The dude is ceramic and his hat is knitted. It's old and cute in a '70's sort of way, and I very much enjoy things that give me a bit of connection with Jeremy's yesteryear; he gets to know a lot more of mine than I get to enjoy of his because of ... tons of things, actually, including my memory compared to his, and my desire to remember/know things from our childhoods, and my inclination to communicate what I do know/remember about mine, etc.
This flower is just luscious to me, and the North Pole candy cane is another made by my mom.
We have two ornaments that were gifted to us for our first Christmas together. This one made the cut this year. :) It is fancy and wedding-ish, which got rather old by the end of 1997, but is a dear reminder now. I LOVE MY HUSBAND MORE EVERY DAY, and rejoice that we are days from celebrating our 14th Christmas together. ~warm fuzzies~

post signature

5 comments:

Summer said...

I really like Natasha's art - she's got quite the talent! I would NEVER have thought to make up that Lego guy game either. Doesn't a nice clean desk just feel so satisfying? My junk collection area is on the far end of the (mostly unused) dining table. I enjoyed your ornament tour. We also tried to simplify our Christmas decor this year. However, we got a real tree for a change since we normally use our fake one. I am really enjoying the scent! For our decorations (besides lights - I forgot what a pain it is to put up tree lights since our fake one is pre-lit) we are just hanging up candy canes, any ornaments we receive this year, the cards and pictures we get in the mail, and a few gold balls for sparkle. It's different, but a nice change.

Nicoll said...

It cracks me up that Natasha's favorite hobby is imagining things, but not because I think it's silly. She seems like a very clever girl, especially with what sounds like her spacey mind that is filled with lots of fun things. Is her favorite hobby what cracks you up, or something else?

Merry Christmas to all of you and much love! :)

Nicoll said...

Oh, in Natasha's drawing of God giving a thumbs up, I really like the stature of the person receiving a crown from Christ (assuming I interpreted it correctly)--very humble but receptive. And Jesus looks very eager and happy to present it. Yay!

Sydni said...

Natasha's art astounds me. It almost leaves me speechless.

I thought "Physics" was a funny answer for N's favorite subject.

The Lego dude cooperation looks wonderful!!

Good job on on the "spot of clear desk"....

Your tree looks beautiful and thanks for your ornament tour. It gave me a warm feeling - like I ma connected to you somehow - or something. I'm VERY, VERY excited about all of your blogging. Maybe that's why I feel more connected.

Jennifer said...

I remember that ornament of Jeremy's from when he was six!!! Ahhhh ha ha ha. I also have/ had on my tree that same felt candy cane north pole ornament. It is old!