While spending some time in our "Audrey folder" last week, it occurred to me how sorely disappointed I am that there are no pictures of her funeral service. True, a funeral isn't exactly the time everyone is thinking of to take pictures, but when there is so very little actual 'life' lived, the funeral service - and the experience of losing someone so early in his/her life - becomes something that I, personally, hold on to just about as much as some of the other more pleasant memories of that time period. Additionally, it struck me how many details I have simply *forgotten* about an event of extreme significance in my life. Therefore, I decided to make an effort to discreetly take a few pictures of Easton's funeral day to give to Jared and Stacy down the road a few weeks, expressing to them this sentiment - for them to take or leave as they choose.... I was able to take a handful of pictures, and I am posting four here. This first picture shows a "tulip tree", which if I'm understanding is a type of magnolia. All around the city they came into bloom on the morning of the day Easton died, and by the time of his funeral on Friday, they were three days past their prime. SSSSSSSSSSSO breathtakingly beautiful. The *day* was extremely beautiful ... exactly how I remember the day of Audrey's memorial service.
This picture I took headed down toward the reception area behind the Augspergers', which is three houses down from the funeral home.
This picture shows Carrie sitting with three of her four children (the triplets), N & J, and Lexie - who Jake & Kim took out of school in order that she could attend the service. [The triplets are homeschooled, as was their big sister, Rachel, age 19, away at college.] Carrie had offered to let N & J walk with her and the triplets to the reception since it was best for me to wait on Jeremy for a few more minutes. It ended up right at/around 90 degrees during the time we were trying to enjoy our lunch without melting. *sigh*
This picture shows Jeremy talking with Sarah (wife to Josh; it is their house where we go to shoot...), and at the next table back are Jake (yellow shirt) & Kim (red hair), and Kim's mom, Pam, at the end of the table. Missy is sitting beside Kim, and facing away are Philip and Marnie. That is Tammy sitting all the way back on the right in the black shirt.
The Potters hosted an open house birthday party for Jeremy and me on Saturday, complete with hand-painted sign by Barb (who also cuts N's and my hair -- very talented!) and much-enjoyed slide show, courtesy of Richard, of some pictures from our photo albums. The Potters live only a few blocks from us, and had invited us to their home many other times but never with enough notice, so we'd had to turn them down over and over! Finally Beth concocted a birthday plan with Elaine, and we got it on our calendar to join them for a "little birthday lunch" that morphed into a way bigger deal. Good grief! Of course, a wonderful time was had by all. :) Wow, Jeremy and I felt very spoiled.
It rained, HARD, all weekend and into Monday. At different times during the weekend the sound of the rain distracted people, trying to figure out what that sound could be. Amazing. SO MUCH WATER can fall from the sky in these parts!
For two months Natasha (especially) and Justus have been planning a big production for the evening of Jeremy's and my Birthday Dinner. They asked us to be away from the house that afternoon while they prepared some surprises with some help from Elaine, so Jeremy and I spent some time in a mall we've not been in yet. Incidentally, I was actually able to find two items of clothing, which I hope will serve me well. *sigh* CLOTHES.
Natasha and Justus did an awesome job with their plans!! They were frustrated that they didn't get to do everything they wanted to exactly *how* they wanted to, but ... WHAT a big deal it was, and what a great job they did! I'm thinking I'm going to use the Facebook Note Jeremy wrote up about it as the foundation for the story, and insert the pictures we took.
------------------------------------------------------------
Last night was the night we had set aside for our "Birthday Supper." The children asked Sunny and me to leave the house because they wanted to do something special for us. Originally, N was going to cook each of us our favorite meal, but that turned out to be a little more than she (and we) could handle.
Sunny and I went to Sears and Wal-Mart for a couple hours so that N and J could get everything set up. We got back home at 6:30pm and noticed right away that they had pulled out the table cloth and linen napkins to set the table. Natasha worked very hard on the center piece. It was a Lego flower bouquet because, “Mom likes flowers and Dad likes Lego.”
I got the grill going so we could have our pork chops while Sunny prepped the green beans, apple sauce and potato salad. The children were feverishly working on something “secret” all during this time. Now in our house we put all the food on the table when we eat, the children did not want us to do that last night.
Natasha said, “As soon as you (talking to Sunny and me) sit down we will begin the birthday evening.” Sunny and I took our places and we were treated to an evening “out” at the “Folding Steakhouse.” N and J were our wait staff [Sunny here: They dressed to match in white shirts and jeans!] ...
[Here is one of the menus; this is what N & J were working on so feverishly, because I changed up the menu a bit at the last minute, not knowing it would throw them for a loop!]
[As Natasha handed us our menus, she said, "Please make up your minds." (lol!!) Then, before they stepped away N asked, "Does anyone here have a birthday today?" Since we knew the answer she was looking for, of course we answered, "Why, yes!" And they proceeded to sing us a completely original version of the Happy Birthday song! (blink) Natasha was a little embarrassed when she saw I was going to take a picture of her singing this song. :) ]
...taking orders (after we had made up our minds from the menu choices), delivering the food we ordered and ensuring our drinks were always filled. It was really fun to watch them working together to make the night special for my bride and me.
[Do you SEE the SERIOUSNESS here???!!! VERY.IMPORTANT.BUSINESS.]
After the meal and the dishes were cleared they “took” our dessert orders. The menu said it was a “special” dessert, so I decided to try that. Quick side note on the dessert – N and J both know that my favorite meal in the whole world is spaghetti and meat sauce. That being said, they decided to make my favorite meal a dessert. N made a sauce from scratch (really good) and boiled the noodles. She then took a cupcake pan, put the cupcake liners in, and filled them with first noodles, then the topped them with the sauce (you know like the icing). Then while J walked very slowly and solemnly into the dining room, N played Darth Vader’s Theme (da da da dun did a dun did a) on the piano. I laughed VERY hard.
[I hope to never forget the very intense, long 'discussion' they had trying to get the Special Dessert served; they could not agree on the best way to serve it because the moisture of the spaghetti had disintegrated the cupcake liner cups! OHMAN...! They finally *did* iron it out, but only after very many minutes of focused, frustrated, whispered communication and (yes) a tad bit of parental involvement in the form of privately coaching each child in his/her communication efforts. Phew! They made it!]
After dessert, for the “Grand Finale”, we went down stairs so that Sunny and I, in turn, could stand in a spotlight at the bottom of the stairs while N, at the top of the stairs (and holding the flashlight!) played the birthday song on the keyboard and everyone else sang along. All in all that was probably the most fun I have had for a family birthday time ever.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My hair is curly now. I think it's official. And it's to the point that this summer, at the length it is now and with us living in such a humid place, I don't know if I'll be able to succeed at a straight-hair style this season. My, oh, my ... the things pregnancy does to a woman's hair!!!!!
I made a Coconut Cake for myself for my birthday. Thankfully company tomorrow evening can help me eat it because Jeremy won't be any help. I will take some to Tammy and Marnie as well, who (I recently learned) currently claim it as their favorite cake in the world, as well. God bless Tammy, who shared her recipe with me!! Here are the pictures I took of the process. IT HAD BETTER BE WORTH IT, EH????!!! lol!
Coconut "pudding"/custard between the layers...
Tammy recommended using dowels or straws to keep the cake from sliding around, especially while frosting it. Of course I tried it first without them. ;) No-go.
"Crumb Coat" of frosting...
If there is a trick to easily getting the coconut onto the sides of a coconut cake, I need to hear about it!! Yes, 7-Minute Frosting is like glue, but still...!!
We have set up a contest for the children for the summer. Whoever picks the most dandelions by the end of July will win a prize. (lol bwahahahahaha! Who needs Round-Up??!) So anyway, at this point each child is bringing to me an average of two handfuls of dandelions per day, for me to count and document. So far they have picked over 250 dandelions in only three picking days during the last week or so. With that in mind this story will make more sense. Justus is still in "Mom's Birthday" mode, evidently. Today he came to me with such a huge smile and sparkling eyes! "Mom, here's a Happy Birthday flower for ya!"
What a sweetheart! I asked him to do it again for the camera. :) Then I pleasantly instructed him to please ask me first next time he wants to pick a flower - that hasn't even completely bloomed yet! lol - which I planted in the yard specifically for it to beautify the *yard*. Seriously, though, my heart is warmed and I am so flattered. It doesn't hurt that tulips are truly my favorite spring flower! :)
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
End of a Busy April
Posted by
JeremyNSunny
at
11:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
I liked the pictures of Easton's funeral - it was nice getting to see the people you mention. I LOVE the N&J b-day story. That is SO sweet! They put so much thought and effort into it! The coconut cake looks delicious - but it sounds like a LOT of work. We've had the same issue with flower picking in the past - please leave them in the YARD to help the YARD look nice. I mean, if I had a big, healthy cutting garden I wouldn't mind, but in our yard we've got to treasure any flowers that come up! And, I like your wavy hair, but . . . are you saying that you're pregnant?!?! (Or just that your hair is wavy from previous pregancies?)
Your HAIR!!! Oh, my!!! It IS curly! Woah. It looks VERY PRETTY. Have you tried scrunching it w/ gel while it's wet? Thank you very much for posting the pictures - of everything. The Lego Boquet is amazing! Pictures sure do help me.
What amazing children you have!
Oh! No! I'm sorry! I'm not pregnant; you're right on the second guess. My hair started changing dramatically after my first pregnancy, and the second pregnancy seems to have just continued/enhanced the trend.
First, the pictures of the service time for Easton...very precious. It's not something that many of us would think about, but after having a 'been there done that' time, you chose wisely! :)
Oh. My. Goodness. The birthday story from Jeremy was truly amazing! I am SO excited for you all that you got to have such an amzaing birthday from your kiddos. What treasures! And I'm sorry, but the spaghetti for dessert thing sounds SO much like something one of my boys would do too! Classic! I truly enjoyed reading that evening recap...thanks so much!
I LOVE your hair! My problem with mine is that it is only wavy on ONE side and straight as a board on the other side for like 2/3 of the way down. Crazy hair! (I *did* think for a fleeting moment the same as Summer that you might be pg...but alas, I knew better. LOL)
I'm thinking that the dandelion picking might become a fun contest here too....Hmm..... :-)
You have WONDERFUL children and the children have WONDERFUL parents. You all amaze me.
I love your hair.....always have.
I thought the same thing, You better watch how you put things in print!lol I thought that wasn't possible anymore, but I still was questioning. To think, you used to have to perm your hair to make it look like that. It is lovely. Nice job to N and J for the birthday celebration. Did you have to have a spaghetti cupcake too? so much love!
Post a Comment