Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A few weeks ago I mentioned a borrowed book I have now finished, and greatly enjoyed. It is "Daughers of Destiny", complied and edited by Noelle Wheeler.

"Be gentle. That does not mean to be spiritless. It means to be the opposite of violent, irritable, ill-tempered, and moody. Study to be so, for your own soul's sake, and as if you lived in God's presence, always keeping down every movement of anger, irritability, ill-temper or moodiness. And be gentle, -- precisely because you have much to do, much to bear, many cares to burden you, many things which continually try your temper."

Here's another paragraph.

"Be low-voiced. It is wonderful what effect a mother's gentle manner and low voice -- when she teaches, corrects, or praises -- will have on a band of children. Take a school-room filled with very young boys or girls. Let their teacher be nervous, fidgety, and irritable; you will see all the little ones thrown into a ferment and fever and agitation, which is nothing more than a kind of disorder which they catch from the teacher's manner. Let her be loud-voiced, teaching or speaking in loud, quick, nervous tones, and it is ten to one but you will see within a few minutes all these children becoming restless, talkative, inattentive, and ungovernable. Now, let some quiet, gentle, calm-mannered, and low-voiced person come in, and all these children will become quieted, will listen, and be ready to give their whole attention to what is said. And they will work steadily as long as the calm eye is on them and the gentle, low voice is directing them."

Wow. I need to read these paragraphs every day. (sigh)

Definitely a book to buy. There is ssssssssso much good in it. Mostly, it is a book of short stories (often just a few pages each) about women of faith ... accounts of their courage, virtue, strength, vision, service, etc., who have lived in the last thousand years. I learned so much! Thanks, Teresa!!

Hm! I just Googled it, and was led to this link where I learned more related interestingness!




post signature

2 comments:

Sydni said...

Sounds like a book I also need to read every day.

Loree said...

I needed to read those after the day I've had (children on the bus this morning were less than perfect!) Thanks for sharing