Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mon., Aug. 11 - Wed., Aug. 13

Crystal deodorant is something I've heard of for years, but only recently after my Keratosis-Pilaris-suffering underarms became increasingly irritated and problematical (hello!! TMI!) did I do a bit of research and go out and make the whopping purchase at the health food store. It cost maybe just a tad more than grocery store deodorant. So, now, a number of weeks later, I just had to quickly put in a plug for the possible benefit of all my loved ones. It's "made of natural mineral salts which eliminate odor by leaving an invisible protective barrier against odor-causing bacteria. It's frangrance-free, hypoallergenic, non-sticky, non-staining, leaves no white residue, and can be used by both men and women." Annnd, it gets the breast cancer ribbon!! [Interestingly, it can also be sprayed on the insides of shoes! >>Huh!<< ] I'm using the spray, but next time I think I'll buy the solid to try; I think it might last longer.

Here is a tip that maybe lots of people are doing already, but I'd never thought of it. When I read it, I decided to share it. It's about how to get the fat off before making gravy. Here we go. >>> Place a zip-top bag in a measuring cup. Pour in drippings; let stand 10 minutes. (Fat will rise.) Seal the bag. Carefully snip a bottom corner; allow to drain into a small saucepan, stopping before the fat layer reaches the opening. Discard fat.

It's been a unique week. Monday and Tuesday were made up almost exclusively of laundry and then cross-town voyages to tend to the carpet situation in the home of the mother of the young man who died. On Monday three church guys, including Jeremy, went to tear out the old carpet. Their wives, me included, picked up the mom and we all went to nail down a table for dinner; then the guys joined us. We ate at The Machine Shed, which is part of Living History Farms ... to which we have a year's free pass and haven't yet gone. We're really waiting 'til fall because it's all set up like 100+ years ago which means no A/C and Mama would melt. (sigh - how sad) We got a round table where we all greatly enjoyed one another's company. The new carpet was installed on Tuesday, so we offered our help that afternoon to get her furniture back in place. She took us to supper that night!! Two nights in a row of no cooking!! I could get spoiled! Again, a wonderful time was had by all. Tuesday we got home in time to play a few rounds of Boggle. Yay.

Today has been my Stress Day of the Month. Good grief, I've been feeling like I'm barely holding together my brain by shreds, and this is the moment of my prayer request. I'm facing some homeschool adjustments, though to what extent I know not yet ... part of the frustration of unknowns.... We also have a busy week coming up (two large sets of company, a teens' event and a ladies' event); in the basement we have a mystery stench that we can NOT locate (argh!!); we have our fist supervising teacher meeting on Tuesday; homeschool paperwork is due on Wendesday; and then on Thursday Jeremy heads off to TN for a preaching seminar - part of his 'continuing education'! [Under normal circumstances the children and I would go, too, but this time they're using a one-seat voucher, they know relatively little about this event, and I do NOT need to be traipsing about the country right now. The homefires are barely burning, feels like!!! eek!]

Tonight, late, I did make some good progress with homeschool plans for this year. MAN! I declare!! So, anyway, I do feel somewhat better, but ... (sigh) Mostly I think I need to spend some more time in prayer about all of this, and then start making some to-do lists of who needs to accomplish what by when. ;) Today N did a load of laundry (supervised, of course), and bathed Jabba (also supervised). I've definitely decided that with these adjustments we expect, the children are going to HAVE to take on some more responsibilities ... which they are happy to do, actually!! Yay! Some maturation is taking place, which is GOOD. This afternoon we also made it to the library for crafts ... and actually it was just a state-fair-related party! lol She had kiddie versions of fair food (Pretzels w/ frosting, Lil' Smokies w/ salsa con queso - yum, apples w/ caramel dip, etc.), and then played Bingo. Most exciting about today's craft day was that new church friend and homeschooling mom, Danielle, who lives maybe 4 blocks from us - between us and the library - was able to meet us there with her three: Emma - 6, Ethan - 4, and Brady - 6 mo.



post signature

3 comments:

Loree said...

Interesting about the deoderant, nice "Heloise" tip of the day I hadn't heard and fun times.

Will keep you in my prayers about the home school situation. It sounds like you have some good "resources" available to help you through this "tranisition year".

Sydni said...

I'd like to try the Crystal deodorant. With breast cancer SO much a part of our family...

How long will Jeremy be gone?

I hope everything gets sorted and worked out well with the homeschooling adjustments.

Jole Dawn said...

Thinking about you. I am sorry you are feeling stressed right now...it's a hard feeling to overcome. I am here if you need me.