Some things I have been wanting to blog about:
It's been nearly two weeks now since N & J made the tuna sandwich recipe from the kids cook book ... the one we didn't like? Well, before we knew we didn't like it, the children were spreading the tuna mix on their sandwiches. N said to J, "Wow, you didn't put very much on your sandwich." Justus said, "That's because I like my sandwiches spread paper-thick." [...'paper-thin'...!]
There was much discussion this year about what to do for Jeremy for Father's Day. Resources were slim for the long list of reasons having to do with the move. Natasha finally figured out that she was going to craft him something. Justus said, "I want to give him something from my own body, so I'm gonna give him a really good hug" (... as opposed to... ?? !!). [It was a study in Love Languages ... back to that. Justus's love language is physical touch, hands down.] I said, "One other thing we could do for Jeremy for Father's Day is do some kind of work for him." Justus said, "Too bad I can't preach, or I'd do that for him and give him a break."
Jeremy is on a Chuck Norris kick, the Mr. Tough Guy from the TV show "Walker, Texas Ranger" ... which I have never watched. lol What is so funny is that there are people out there making some hilarious Chuck Norris jokes.
-If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris you may be only seconds away from death.
-The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.
-Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.
-Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.
-If you spell Chuck Norris in Scrabble, you win. Forever.
-The following is a short list of things Chuck Norris cannot do: .
-Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting implies the possibility of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
-When the Boogey-man goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
-Chuck Norris can slam revolving doors.
-Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
At any rate, you get the idea. So, the other day Jabba was sleeping near my feet, though I didn't know it. (This is often the case.) When I started to walk, my foot hit his head and he groggily awoke. I said, "Oh, Jabba! Sorry buddy! I guess no one can stay asleep taking a kick to the head." Then I heard N: "Except Chuck Norris!"
Last Monday Jeremy and I were discussing with Justus whether he should have his shower that night or on Tuesday. (That is his day that we are flexible with his showers. Thu., Sat., & Mon. or Tue.) Justus was saying that he thought he should take it Tue. Jeremy asked, "Do you stink?" Justus sniffed the back of his right hand and shrugged, "No." We let him wait 'til Tue.
Wednesday we made a family visitation day. The congregation had three members in three different medical facilities. We managed to see them all! It was a nice day of serving and being out-and-about together. Sadly, Jeremy's allergies were very bad that day, and by the end of the day it was clear that since they hadn't responded to allergy medications, he was also sick with something else on top of the allergies. (sigh) Poor guy; he was miserable. There were dramatic thunderstorms that night, including hail, and our garden got smashed pretty badly. :*( Most everything seems to have survived, but it was definitely a setback ... one we can't really 'afford', what with the late start we got, due to the move! eek!
Jeremy got permission to not work on Thursday. He got many extra hours of sleep and was basically non-productive that day ... except for the 'getting well'. ;) We got a surprise call from the Morts inviting us to Chuck E. Cheese's for lunch & games for the children, and Jeremy decided that whatever he had was gone-enough that he could come along. We had a really, really nice time with that surprisingly-large group of children! The Morts had with them three of the Thompsons' children and one of the Ferrels'! I think we were there 3 1/2 hours. lol Phew! While we were there, a minor altercation happened between N & one of the other girls who is older than N [one who was adopted at age 7 out of a traumatic situation, and constantly gives her folks much trouble :( ]. N's feelings were badly hurt, and she came to me crying and doing somewhat of a drama queen routine. I was very, very proud that it took minimal coaching for her to pretty-quickly regain control and get back to sweet!!! Good Girl. PROGRESS. Other news from Thursday is that Jeremy 'held my hand' through some computer maintenance (which I might actually be able to do on my own next time) and this machine is working 100x better now, finally!! It has been acting badly for 4-5 MONTHS. I am ssssso relieved.
Then, after supper, the children and I completely emptied the pantry into the living room so Jeremy could re-do the shelving system in there. It has been awful, and ... what better time to re-do it than when it's very empty to start with?? LOL! It was NOT a fun task, and he knew it wouldn't be, but he was so loving to be happy to do it for me/us!! We used only the available supplies the owner had in there to work with, and are now in a MUCH better situation for using the space well. THANK YOU SO MUCH, MY HUSBAND!!!!!
The pantry is strange because it was built over the stairway going downstairs. The top half is shelves, but the bottom is blocked off, except a space maybe 2'x3' of carpet just inside the door:
These pictures remind me of the picture of Sayler on top of the fridge! :) Nothing I would EVER think to do. This is what guys are for!! The fun! lol
If you can't tell, Chewie was NOT happy about being up there.
The children have been doing all kinds of fun things with their time lately. Justus asked for permission to tape a sign to their bedroom door. This is what I found.
Can you tell it's supposed to say, "Welcome to the zoo"? Shooeee, we gotta get that boy some writing practice!!
The following picture is something Justus built by using game pieces out of a few different games. He told me, "It's a concert!"
On Friday the big accomplishments were that we made it to the library, as a family!! There is a GREAT, though small, library about six blocks from here, the "Pleasant Hill Public Library". They have wonderful activities we plan to take advantage of! I spent quite some time writing a "family profile" I was asked to submit for publishing in the church bulletin; I guess each family/couple/individual is asked to do it ... just as a way for everyone to get to know each other better. I had a hard time knowing what to include and what to exclude. (sigh) Tried to NOT write a book. Kept it to one page. Yay. lol Also, on Friday I organized the table downstairs where the majority of the 'crafting' will be done. It's pretty nice to have all of that kind of stuff centralized in an efficient space. I will look forward to improving it as need be....
Saturday was another GORGEOUS DAY, of which there have been many: breezy, high of mid-70's, sunshine & clouds alternating every 10-15 minutes. Aah! We accomplish much on days like that. Jeremy mowed. The children pulled some weeds. I did some house work and then put the grass clippings on the garden [nitrogen, mulch (= holds in the water, keeps out the weeds), and ultimately a composting situation] and 'doctored' the poor plants a little.... Jeremy and I did a small part of a project with the front flower beds, and then with that extra board from the pantry, he and Justus made a bird feeder that they then attached to the deck straight out from the window above the sink where I stand all day (ha!)!!!!! Then I also moved the hummingbird feeder to the soffit at the same spot, so we can SEE any hummingbirds that come our way. YAY!
Certain seedlings I think are sssssso pretty, in their own rite. This is basil growing in one of the flowerbeds out front.
This is the view looking southeast from our front porch. "Impossibly green" is the phrase that keeps going through my head.... The background is the 2nd largest oak tree in IA (or 1st largest, depending on who you talk to!). Between it and the hedge bush in front of the flowerbed is a tree that's in our front yard that might be a redbud, though I'm not sure yet.
I made an effort at getting some pictures to try and show how monstrous the oak tree is. This is a vertical picture of it. Below is a horizontal picture of it. I don't know if the neighborhood's layout would let me get far enough away from it to get the whole thing in one picture!! Crazy!
Since I was all over the place taking pictures, I thought I'd take a picture of what the front of the house looked like on Saturday.
For lunch on Saturday N made a recipe from the kids cook book: Peanut Butter & Jelly French Toast. Sounded kinda scary, but she was motivated and we had all the ingredients. It turned out to be actually remarkably good. And, since the weather was ssssssssso beautiful and the bugs (thankfully!) thin, we ate outside!!
Yesterday was the 5th Sunday of the month, Jeremy's contracted Sunday off!! I don't have to tell you how much he enjoyed his pew-sitting Sunday, although he did offer to lead singing Sunday evening because there was a scheduling glitch and the a.m. song leader was going to have to lead in the p.m. also, AFTER also having organized and lead the singing at Karen Acres that afternoon!! Karen Acres is a nursing home in town that's owned and managed by the Langs, members of the congregation. The singing there is every other month, and I guess for a while now the Langs have been talking about showing their appreciation to the (same 15-20) people who so dependably show up to sing. Welllll, how blessed are we that on our very first time going as a family (Jeremy went in April.), the Langs had invited everyone over for a "light lunch" afterward??!! Not-so-light a lunch it was. OHMYGOODNESS. I mean, all the way down to homemade ice cream. It was amazingly hospitable of them to host us all in their home and feed us like royalty. (blink, blink) Wow.
We went straight from there back to the building to use the time wisely accomplishing a few tasks before the evening service started. IT WAS A BUSY SUNDAY! Sunday evening's lessons were half-length lessons by two Central Iowa Missions students (members of Grandview) who were both presenting their first lessons ever, even though both gentlemen are 50+. :) They did great jobs, both! Then there was a 30-minute presentation by a gentleman who, along with his sweet wife and their seven children, does mission work from Alaska to Costa Rica that Grandview supports with both $$ and people going along!! :) Oh, and then after the evening service the Morts came over for Nachos!! What fun.
Today was Monday. I did laundry during the day, for once. (Using a timer has made this possible, what with the laundry room in a part of the house where I can't hear what it's doing, so then I forget it; I was FLUNKING OUT doing the laundry during the day without the assistance of the timer!!) Oh, also, Mom will be happy to know that I iron now. Write it on the calendar, I know.... Well, it's true. I've been ironing regularly for about 3-4 months now, for the first time ever. I don't hate it like I used to; I'm enjoying thinking of it as a way to pamper my precious family, and myself too :) , instead of as just one more CHORE. I gardened, bathed Jabba, lined up child care for all day tomorrow (Stay tuned - ha.), worked on the computer some, talked to Chic on the phone a long time, etc. The children set up tents in their room again, crafted, played outside, did household chores, played with Legos. OH, and N made brownies. By herself except for clean-up. She even changed the level ofone of the oven racks by herself without even needing to be prompted! So, today was a normal, at-home-all-day day!! :) Tomorrow will NOT be. And, actually, no more days of this week will be considered, 'normal'. There is much to do, there is work on every hand! (Or, as Jeremy sings it, 'work for every hand' - lol)
Monday, June 30, 2008
Wed., Jun. 25 - Mon., Jun. 30
Posted by
JeremyNSunny
at
10:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
OK. That was a lot to comprehend. N is doing such great kitchen and attitude work. J is totally hilarious. The pantry shelves look wonderful and I hope today goes very well.
How great of N to be able to follow the recipes and make all those meals!
Thanks for the pictures of the tree, house, etc. I've never been to IA, so nice to see it.
Too bad J didn't feel well, but glad he is better. Great pantry job!
You are busy as usual! I love the Chuck Norris quotes. Natasha is clever to think on her feet like that. I also love all of the green around you. Nice pantry re-model. I don't know what it looked like before, but the finished version is good. Thanks for the picture of the house from the front. From the pictures it seems like from the front you appear to have a normal sized house but then the backyard is a big surprise, being so large and spacious! Or is that just my perception from the pictures?
Okay, I feel better about the sign on the door...J's spelling and writing is about as good as Brent's! Don't worry...I'm told it will come with time! LOL
And tell J I LOVE his concert! Very creative! :)
Post a Comment