Friday, April 25, 2008

Thu., Apr. 24 - Fri., Apr. 25

On a quick-trip to Wal-Mart yesterday (Thursday), Justus chose to use his money he has saved to buy himself a nice, new watch. He rrrrrrrreally likes to be “like Daddy” about the whole watch thing, including wearing it 24/7 except when showering. Of course, UNlike Jeremy, Justus goes around quoting the time to anyone and everyone who will listen. It’s super-cute, and a totally awesome way for him to practice his numbers! He, like N (our two dyslexic kiddos), gets ‘2’s and ‘5’s backward … ESPECIALLY on a digital display. He is also learning this week about why 17 isn’t “seventy”, and why it’s important to say “Three-o-seven” v. “Seven-o-three”.

It’s actually really throwing me on a mind-bend when I see him with his watch; he looks way too grown-up for me. (sigh) And then, to hear him quoting times to me??? Where’d our baby go?? EEK!

Chewie was better on Thursday, after being sick all day Wednesday. I think he didn’t eat for a full day or more, and slept all but maybe 60 various minutes of that entire time. I’m suspicious that it was the small bite of meat we gave him after supper; he had puked in his kennel sometime during Tuesday night. Poor pup. He’s not back to normal, even today, but at least he’s making progress. Strange.

N biked a ton yesterday; I made a batch of salsa and Cheesy Broccoli Soup for supper. There is a large amount of discrepancy between people’s opinions about what to eat during a move. Nicky said, “The first thing I pack is the kitchen … just to make it clear that the kitchen is closed. If I’m packing, I’m certainly not cooking.” I totally see her point, and that would definitely fit the bill if a move had to happen really fast. However, with at least a few weeks to plan, I’m much more content to continue eating what Justus calls “real food”, keeping our nutrition up (therefore energy, health, and attitudes as well) while making an effort to use up the food we have on hand. Granted, we’re doing a mite more convenience food and leftovers than usual, but for the most part our routine is, as yet, unchanged. [Uh-oh >> now the terrorists will know how to get us! Jeremy says that’s something he learned back in the day: Vary your routine to throw the terrorists off; it’s a big old joke in our family. lol]

Speaking of Jeremy, he got to attend a high school drama production last night! “Cinderella,” was the story performed by the drama students of one of Grandview’s members. About twenty-five other church folks were there along with Jeremy; they had an awesome time. Drama productions are totally up our alley, so Jeremy’s only complaint was how ‘lonely’ he was; I enjoyed at least getting to hear about it long-distance….

Another whole slew of boxes arrived at our house yesterday, a bunch Charles & Gerry brought over, leftover from a move down the street from their house, and then another batch Elaine brought home from work. I think it’s all the boxes we’ll need!! Now just to line up some muscles for next Sat.

Today was a big old trip to the East Side. We took to the recycle place two kitchen-size garbage bags, each about 2/3 full of half-crushed cans; N & J got a total of $5, which they split down the middle. We used a coupon at Borders for Justus to purchase another chapter book from the series of which we purchased one last week and he is greatly enjoying. N is saving her recycle $, and every other penny she can get her hands on, so that down the road at some point she can purchase a reptile. lllllovely. N & J biked while I talked to Jeremy on the phone; then we took a family bike ride before supper. Today I packed ONE box. LOL I figured instead of taking out of the dishwasher something I knew I won’t need again, I’d put it in a box instead. Whoop-de-doo. No pressure; I’ve got another whole week!! About that I feel both good and bad. It’s nice to not have so much time/packing pressure. However, my anxiousness to get to Des Moines is increasing by the hour, for every reason imaginable, from missing my honey badly all the way down to the warmer-than-comfortable (for me) weather….

I’ll leave you with this image that greeted me at the top of the stairs yesterday while Justus was napping. His helmet, closed-toe shoes, and sunglasses >> give ya two guesses what he planted to do ASAP after awaking!!


(I'm so glad Jabba'd just had a bath; he gets ssssssssso super-dirty rolling around in the back yard with Chewie.... In this picture he looks nice and white, thanks to the bath he'd just received!)

post signature

4 comments:

Sydni said...

Oh, my, goodness! I am so glad you took and posted pictures of Justus's watch and pile at the top of the stairs! TOO CUTE!

What sort of reptile does Natasha want...

How nice that you have all the boxes you need. Great.

You are right - I do not envy your 90 degree weather. I do prefer snow to that, actually. Whatever happened to 60 - 65 degrees?

Summer said...

Sounds like things are going so smoothly! You seem so relaxed - not stressed at all. I'm impressed! Happy Saturday!

The Free Tree said...

Well, you may not be stressed. I've been stressing for you!

Justus' growing up makes me want to cry!!!!!! My boys are growing toooo fast. You're even more so as we see them so seldom.

The gym my sister-in-law manages has a bearded dragon. It's been pretty easy to care for, though has grown quite large.

Jole Dawn said...

I think it's so cute that Justus wants to be just like daddy. :) His little watch and everything. :) Jabba is cute in that last pic (well, he's always cute) with his tongue peeking out. :) Tell Natasha that lizards are a lot of fun!:)