http://www.homeschoolmarketplace.com/e-zines/ejournaljan2208.html
That is an excellent article about, actually, "Homeschooling Burnout", but it is applicable to all kinds of "Mom Burnout". I took away some things I plan to determinedly change.
Yesterday was grocery shopping day, so it was coupons, menu planning, and grocery shopping. We dropped off Jeremy at the building at 5:30 p.m. and did our shopping while he was there for the Monday men's study. There was some interesting precipitation; not snow, but 'something' frozen falling from the sky ... which then turned to hail. (I took a picture you'll see later.) Jeremy played Guitar Hero lots during the day. N & J did good work around the house, helping me a lot with various things including providing good care of the dogs, as usual. After everyone was in bed, I did laundry while enjoying a movie on TV called "About Sarah". I guess it came out as many as ten years ago; I'd heard of it but never seen it. It was worth the time. Yay.
Jeremy played Guitar Hero for a little while after N & J went to bed on Sunday night. It requires both hands and can't easily be paused, so once a song starts, if the volume is too high it can be changed only by someone else. Well, we didn't realize it was too high until Monday when Justus said, "I heard that game so much last night I couldn't even hear my dreams!"
Today, Tuesday, the day started (Don't laugh at me too hard.) with us meeting the Meanses at a Mexican food place for lunch at 11:30 a.m. A lovely time was had, for sure! Man, we love them. I did some church secretary work and mixed up a batch of (Valentine's Day) sugar cookies that we built after Jeremy and Justus made Linguini and Clam Sauce for supper. During the cookie work Jeremy was fiddling on the guitar when he received a surprising and fascinating phone call that took up most of an hour. Later, we also had time to play Boggle a little before Bible time. Then, more laundry, computer work, and a call from Travis, whose non-trad, quick thinking behind the wheel saved his life twice today on Omaha's roads of ice. (Current rate of calls from Travis - about 1/wk.; current rate of calls from Ashley - about 2/wk.)
Natasha has been really struggling, spiritually, the past few days. She has shared with us some details about rebellious phrases that pop into her mind in response to anything we tell her to do, so it's some kind of NASTY attitude in her head that is really tempting her to disobey with absolutely obstinate defiance. Most times she goes ahead and obeys, but not always as quickly or sweetly as she usually does. I can READ the mental struggle on her face! Wow. So tonight after Bible time I called her over to sit by me, and drew an ink box around 1 Cor. 10:13 in her Bible. I had her read it to me, and then we talked about it line by line. "The struggles you are having are similar to those of every other person on earth;" "God is right there with you, always," "He won't allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear, ssssssssso that means He must know that you have grown spiritually to the point that you are strong enough to still choose right even though it feels more difficult than ever before;" "Though God does allow Satan to tempt you, it is also God who provides the way of escape so that you can overcome." She just stared at her Bible for a while, and then I noticed she was silently crying. At that same moment she leaned her head on my shoulder. I let her rest there for a minute, and then heard, "I love you, Mom."
Ahh, wow.
I said, "Does that help you feel a little better about what's been going on in your mind these last couple days?" She said, "Yes; a lot."
So ... good. Hm.
Recipe time again. I've never made anything remotely like these gyro-like pork sandwiches. OUTSTANDING, they were. Can't wait to have them again. The marinade for the pork is so awesome Jeremy said he would be happy to have that pork any time - even without the rest of the recipe. :) lol
Greek Pork Wraps
Serves 4-6
¼ c. lemon juice
2 T. olive or canola oil
1 T. prepared mustard
1 ¼ t. minced garlic, divided
1 t. oregano
Combine in a large Ziploc bag.
1 pork tenderloin (1 lb.), or 1 lb. other pork meat
Add the pork to the bag and turn to coat; refrigerate 2 hrs.
1 c. chopped, peeled cucumber
1 c. reduced-fat plain yogurt
½ t. minced garlic
¼ t. salt
¼ t. dill
Combine in a bowl; cover and refrigerate until serving.
Cook pork ‘til done (pan-fry, grill, etc.).
8 flour tortillas (6”)
Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil; place on grill or in oven to warm.
Slice pork into strips; place on tortillas.
½ c. chopped green onions
1 lg. tomato, sliced
Serve with yogurt dressing.





5 comments:
Great work with Natasha!!!
Thanks for the recipe.
I found those file folders at Wal-Mart...
You are such a great Mom. The paragraph on N made me tear up. Pre-adolescence is a terrible time for them. Poor thing.
That's pretty amazing that Natasha realizes what is going on in her head! What a great learning opportunity.
I hear about Guitar Hero from the college kids. Could you take a picture of someone playing it so I can see what it is?
I also want to thank you for the website you posted. Very good information, even for us non-homeschoolers!
Thanks for the great article. I feel like we've been dealing with some burnout, lack of direction, etc. What a great experience with Natasha! The sugar cookies, linguine with clam sauce AND the Greek wraps sound GREAT! (It's nearly lunch time and I'm hungry - and we need to get groceries today. So, you've given me some good meal ideas.)
Post a Comment