Saturday, September 8, 2007

Fri., Sep. 7

Wayne England is an 85-year-old widower of three years. He jokes that his nickname is Wayne the Pain. We love him. There is a paper towel holder in the kitchen at the church's building. Last Sunday Wayne asked me, "Say, maybe you don't know that I made the paper towel holder in the kitchen there. I would make one for you if you want." Wellllll, how can a girl turn that down? I agreed, of course, and wasn't too surprised when Wayne called me yesterday saying it's done. This evening after supper we went to go pick it up. We had a lovely visit; stayed about 45 minutes I'd guess. Wayne is super-lonely, so he enjoyed our visit tremendously; in fact, there are some tentative plans, now, for us to get together more. (He likes to grill for people! He needs help installing a new kitchen sink; his back doesn't let him bend much at all.) Natasha and Justus had a TOTAL BLAST playing with "Jack", Wayne's appropriately-named Jack Russell Terrier ... which (a-hem) brings me to my next topic.


(Big breath)

Time is drawing nigh when our family is going to say "yes" to the responsiblities of becoming pet owners again. Options are arising.... Stay tuned.

The temperature of this desert locatoin was SSSSSSSSSSSSO NICE this evening!! Jeremy offered to cook supper tonight (Spaghetti) so that I could spend that time, in the cool of the evening, but before the sun went down, weeding some more. The progress feels slow because I don't spend large chunks of the day doing it - in the heat.... TOO HARD. BUT, it rained last night so the ground is still soft. Perfect. ANNNNND, when I headed out at about 6:15 the temp was 84!! AWESOME. Fall has arrived. HA!! N was good help to me in the weeding, and then she and Justus rode the tricycle up and down the street while I weeded more.... The neighbors are coming out from hibernation as well, so it's interesting and nice to speak kindly to them a bit. One of these days we're going to take our phone number to the six closest houses, with a bag of cookies, to officially introduce ourselves. [We've lived here two months and have hardly seen anyone. TOO HOT.]

Natasha made no-bake cookies today. Cookies, two days in a row ... might as well, we're home all day since we can't go grocery shopping (details below). Our freezer has been empty of cookies for a long time, except for those we're saving for the neighbors.

Natasha asked for a spelling test today, and she has learned 11 of the 16 words she misspelled in her story. She'll work on the last five next week, she said, and then re-write her story. :)

Structural Engineers, maybe that's what the children wish to be when they grow up. At least, that's what you'd guess by observing the forts going up in each room. It's fun to watch them be creative and cooperative in their respective efforts! Of course there's a little cantankerosity (?! Is THAT a word?) mixed in there too, for good measure. gr And then, there was an accident today. Somewhere along the way someone gave Natasha a small ceramic pot that was painted ivory. She's been saving it diligently, while waiting to figure out what to plant in it. Well, today during the construction she misjudged something in her plan and the pot broke. She CRIED & CARRIED ON. I attempted to let her iron her way out of the emotional pickle, but after continuing the drama (alone in her bedroom at that point) for a good 10 minutes I had to tell her to control it.... I wish she would do better about deciding for herself when enough is enough.... Evidently not yet.

Natasha sorted and started a load of laundry; that was new. So, then, everything else about today was typical. Oh, except me having the opportunity to wipe down shelves in the pantry. Yeah ... we're still waiting on Jeremy's VA check (supposed to be here 8/31) which was to be our grocery money for this week and next. Pretty anxious to get that, now that tomorrow's SATURDAY. [We're thinking maybe they don't yet know our new address?! OOPS.]

Even though yesterday was a big, dramatic blog, I forgot two things! First, Jeremy and I sent the children outside while we prepared lunch. We were so surprised, when we looked out on them a few minutes later, to see them tromping in a complete MUD PIT we didn't even know was going on back there, from the rain the night before. I mean, even after they came out and sprayed themselves off, their feet prints - which remain in the mud pit - are 6" deep!!

Then, yesterday afternoon Justus and Jeremy were working on some Lego projects. Jeremy told Justus, "I'll help you make 'Mantax', and then I'm going to my nap." Justus held out his hand to Jeremy, palm out, and said, "I'VE got it under control."

1 comment:

Loree said...

Nice picture from Bible camp!